Aw Crap

Aw Crap

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Inappropriate Comedy

Lately I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about comedy and philosophy, in particular how it pertains to levels of appropriateness.  Now I consider myself, and am considered by those unfortunate enough to be in my orbit, to be extremely inappropriate.  I am not beyond dropping the occasional motherfucker or cunt when the moment suits me.  I have no patience for the particular niceties of daily mundane life, pretending that we aren’t thinking what we are actually thinking.  This isn’t to say that I’m special or particularly funny, it is just an illustration of how I go about my business.  I come from the school of thought that no subject, no matter how taboo, should be exempt from the tyrannous arms of comedy.

Now my particular problem manifests itself with the current age of supreme political correctness.  Walking on egg shells is no longer a repeated proverb but an axiom.  It’s nary impossible to say anything without someone, somewhere getting offended.  I was particularly stricken recently by comments Tracy Morgan said during a stand-up comedy show of his.  This particular bit he was working through was homophobic in nature and hateful and vulgar; it was also extremely funny and biting.  Sure enough, various rights groups got offended and demanded reparations and I was confused.  Weren’t they aware that this was Tracy Morgan?  His whole schtick stands on the foundation of shock, vulgarity and acting as an untamed id.  Whether he actually meant the hate spewing from his mouth is not really important – although you’d have to be one stupid, inbred shit eating motherfucker to believe he’d actually stab his son if his son were gay.  It’s not any different then comics who use racism or xenophobia to comedic effect.  He isn’t a politician or philanthropist or news personality of any consequence.  He’s a funny loose canon comedian.  But as is always the case, special interest groups got their way and the public were gifted with an awkward, forced apology from Tracy Morgan as well as several contrived appearances by the comedian condemning his own words and actions.

Now I understand it may be radical but I don’t think lines have to be drawn.  Some might argue that maybe that some lines must be drawn in order to protect the general public from “comedy” that might be hateful and fear mongering.  I would argue that like any good system, comedy is self correcting.  If you are unfunny, no one will hear what you have to say.  Comedy should be one of the freest forms of expression.  It’s a cathartic release for people from their shitty lives.  No one goes to a comedy show to pick up wisdom or life long lessons (I’m sure people will disagree but if you are getting your advice from a comedian then your disagreement is erroneous).  People go to comedy shows to laugh, hear stories that might be relatable in some way delivered in funny ways, or view current and topical issues (such as politics and religion) through the prism of comedy. 

            This isn’t to say that there isn’t bad comedy.  However, looking at it holistically, while I don’t find such comedy to be funny, I have no issue with the Dane Cooks, Larry the Cable Guys, Carrot Tops, or Jeff Dunhams of the world.  Sure their comedy isn’t in my wheelhouse, but I don’t begrudge them for doing their own thing and sticking to it.  They are famous and successful because some people somewhere liked their comedy.  Now, this isn’t to say I can’t sit on my high perch and call these people idiots, but I’m sure they wouldn’t enjoy the comedy that I enjoy.  I’ll continue to be inappropriate and follow those comedians that aren’t afraid of ruffling some feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment